Wednesday, September 06, 2006

July 7, 2006

I am doing proofreading alias editing subtitles of VAM (value added materials...I think! in normal world we call it the extra bits in DVD) of a rubbish film called Fast Furious Tokyo Drift (their website is interesting though! check this http://www.thefastandthefurious.com/).

The word drifting itself has drifted me from one dictionary to another, from one web to another just to find a perfect translation! In the film itself, the translator (not me, not me, ! I don't want to get the blame for it!) uses 'balap cepat' for drifting; in English it will be fast racing. But man, since when racing is not fast?! I thought when you race it means you have to try to be the fastest. So Balap cepat is really a redundant. There is nothing I can do for the feature since I bet the translation has been approved. But for the VAMs, it is my territory. ! The VAM translator (different from the film's translator) used 'melayang' or literally means 'floating'.

Thus, my works start here! I did check websites to find out what they really mean with drifting, can 'melayang' really be used here? Well, well, no I don't think so, this is what the official website of the film defines it as this:

"A driving technique pioneered in Japan where the car rear tires are slipping at a greater angle then the front tires. The technique has become a sport where drivers must keep their cars sliding sideways through a course of turns while controlling their line, angle and speed..."

So it ain't fast racing Mister. And I am sorry it is not 'melayang' either. I tend to use 'meluncur' yet I don't feel that 'eureka' moment. So for the time being, I would just keep drifting as drifting, until a revealation is drifted towards my direction...(or anyone can help me?)

No comments: